The Texas Botanical Gardens and Native American Interpretive Center was established as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization in 2004 to develop and operate a community cultural and educational facility. The Texas Botanical Gardens and Native American Interpretive Center is the anchor of Legacy Plaza, a planned downtown revitalization project that includes a Welcome Center on one city block.
A Sears Craftsman House circa 1914 was donated to the project in 2009 located three blocks from the main project site. We used this as our annex and set up displays in three of the rooms including a Native American room for children. We hosted meetings, workshops and classes for children at this location.
Ground was broken on the Texas Botanical Gardens in 2013 and opened to the public on October 11, 2014. The Goldthwaite Welcome Center officially opened on July 2, 2015. The Pavilion opened in October 2016.