The official grand opening of The Texas Botanical Gardens will be on Saturday, Oct. 11th from 10am to 5pm with the ribbon cutting at 10:30am. Admission is free and open to the public. Come and enjoy a day of strolling through The Gardens, interactive exhibits, children’s activities, special guest speakers, and refreshments.
- 10:00 A.M.
- Gates Open
- 10:30 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- 11:15 A.M.
- Exhibits Open – See below for exhibit and activity details.
- 12:00 P.M. – 1:30 P.M.
- Lunch Snacks
- 2:00 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
- Dessert and Lemonade
- 5:00 P.M.
- Gates Close
Planned speakers will present the following under our tents :
- Medicinal Use of Plants
- Bed Rock Mortars
- The Gault Project
- Comanche Culture
- Use of Native Plants in Gardens
- Birds & Insects of Central Texas
- Burned Rock Middens
- and more
Exhibits will be hosted all day by Texan Historical Commission Archaeology Stewards and will include :
- Processing pecans in the bedrock mortar
- Demonstrating flint knapping at our flint knapping site
- Explaining how a Burned Rock Midden was used
- Demonstrating fire starting and arrow construction at our Wickiup Camp
- Cooking on hot rocks
Other activities will include :
- Our Comanche friends sharing their culture.
- Native plant tours of our Gardens
- Our Rainwater Harvesting area will be hosted by experts
- Hands-on activities are planned all day for children