The Texas Botanical Gardens and Native American Interpretive Center will be able to complete its rainwater harvesting project with the help of a $24,700 community development grant.
LCRA and the City of Goldthwaite provided the grant to help build a rainwater harvesting system that will collect and store rainwater in a 40,000 gallon cistern. The water will be used to irrigate the center’s garden and the system will serve as a model for green construction with educational demonstrations for school children and adults that promote drought awareness, water conservation and landscaping with native plants.
“The Texas Botanical Gardens address an urgent need for accessible outdoor educational and cultural enrichment activities in underserved rural Central Texas,” said Janice Fischer, executive director of the gardens and center. “We offer programs that are educational and fun with a focus on the importance of sustainable and renewable resources as well as the need for responsible water and land stewardship to manage and restore our grasslands, wildlife habitats and ecosystems.”
The community grant is one of a number of grants recently awarded through LCRA’s Community Development Partnership Program. The program provides economic development and community assistance grants to cities, counties, volunteer fire departments, regional development councils and other nonprofit organizations in LCRA’s electric and water service areas. The program is part of LCRA’s effort to give back to the communities it serves. The City of Goldthwaite is one of LCRA’s 43 wholesale electric customers and a partner in the grant program.
More Contributors Announced
The Texas Botanical Gardens and Native American Interpretive Center has recently received the following contributions:
- Honorariums by Frances Osborne in honor of Mrs. Thurman Head;
- By Charlie and Jane Jamison in honor of Minnie Graves.
- Memorials from Bill and Peggy Dennard in honor of Charles Blackburn, Louisa Flores, Wayne Wilcox, Betty Winton and Fred Smith;
- By Patty Bays in honor of Wayne Wilcox;
- By Kenneth McDonald in honor of Madeline Willoughby;
- By Hazel McCoy in honor of Charley McLean;
- By Ramona Flores in honor of Thurman Head;
- By Robbie Kerby in honor of Doward & Marie Simpson;
- By Warren and Dori Blesh in honor of Thurman Head;
- By Johnny B. and Mary F. Johnson in honor of Charley McLean;
- By Porter Insurance Agency in honor of Thurman Head;
- By C.T. Head in honor of Charley McLean;
- By Frances Osborne in honor of Thurman Head.